The Learning in Retirement (LinR) program at Carleton University is open to adults of all ages who enjoy life-long learning. Regardless of your education background or interests, our program offers affordable and intellectually stimulating non-credit classes on a wide variety of subjects.
- Explore thought-provoking subjects through lectures and discussions in an inviting and collaborative environment.
- The program’s single lectures, lecture series and workshops are taught by experienced and dynamic specialists (from Carleton University and beyond) who enjoy sharing their knowledge with others.
- Topics include art history, music, science, politics, history, religion, social studies, philosophy, memoir writing, and more. Language and writing workshops are offered regularly, in small class settings.
- There are no prerequisites, required readings, or exams. Anyone interested can participate, regardless of previous knowledge.
- Lecture series are typically two hours each held once a week for six consecutive weeks. Single lectures are two hours long. Five sessions take place per year, over the spring, fall and winter seasons.
- Program offerings are now mainly held in two locations: Carleton’s main campus, and the Carleton Dominion-Chalmers Centre (downtown at Cooper and O’Connor streets). Some offerings take place in locations such as the National Gallery of Canada.
Read what LinR participants have said about the program, the offerings and the lecturers:
- Your programme has added a lot to my life over the last years and I thank you all for the wonderful experiences I’ve had from Learning in Retirement; looking forward to my next classes!
- I love the opportunity to attend such classes. Since there are no exams, no assignments, I can spend as much effort as I want, dive deeper, or skip areas that interest me less. I get what I put into it.
- You do a great job. Content, organization, and support all get high marks from me. I’ve shared the LinR link with friends who also find classes they enjoy too. Well done!
- I love the selection. Sometimes I can’t commit to a series, but I can fit in single lectures – it is great to have options!
- The lecturers know their subject matter, are friendly and approachable, willing to answer questions, and organized. I’m really happy I found the program.
- The program and offerings are marvelous and cover a wide array of topics. The staff are terrific and very responsive to questions etc. Altogether, the entire program is an Ottawa gem!